Monday, March 14, 2011

Quick Potato Filling

I love food. The sleuths among you can probably tell that. I cannot understand people who eat entirely for sustainance, begrudgingly and without joy. I feel very lucky to be able to eat delicious food every day. However, I do spend a little too much time cooking. Sometimes it is necessary to make a quick meal. So, I am always looking for ways to make quick food, without compromising on taste. And so, this is one I rustled up today in about 15 minutes:

Baked Potatoes with Leek and Tomato filling
(I assure you there are two large potatoes under that mountain)

I suggest throwing on a couple of extra potatoes on anytime you're cooking something in the oven. They are always handy to have in the fridge. You can heat them up and add a filling to them for a quick meal, or slice them and fry them up with some garlic and onions (mmmm), or even throw them in a curry or soup. They won't go to waste anyway, so you might as well throw a few on just to have!

With this in mind, I pre-baked some spuds yesterday when I had the oven on. So, today I popped the oven on to heat them up, while I worked on a filling. I chopped up and fried two small leeks, half an onion, and some garlic. I threw in some chopped tomatoes and more oil, and fried it all up for a minute or so. Then it was time to cut open the now-hot spuds, and load those bad boys up. Top it all off with some cheese and black pepper and stick it in the oven to melt the cheese. And then BAM - 15 minute feast, with no taste compromise (maybe a bit with the presentation alright -it makes me feel dirty looking at it).

- Dara

No comments:

Post a Comment