Sunday, February 12, 2012

Roast Potatoes & Sun-dried Tomatoes

In keeping with the belated Christmas dinner posts, here are the roast potatoes I dined on. Roast potatoes are a lovely Sunday dinner treat (growing up in my house anyway) and my mother always seems to make them perfectly. As I was home for Christmas, these ones were a co-production with my auld one.


Her method (which in turn she took from my uncle) is to peel them, then boil them for ten minutes, then drain them, put them back in the dry pot and shake them round to get them fluffy. The fluffy bits make them deliciously crispy when roasted. Next, stick the shaken spuds in the oven with lots of oil. Since my family are partial to sundried tomatoes which usually comes in herb-y oil, I thought I'd use up the leftover, already-flavoured oil for roasting the potatoes. Roast them for 20 minutes or more, till you've got a crispiness level that satiates you and your diners. And about 5 minutes before they're done add in the sundried tomatoes themselves (maybe even less than five minutes as they burn easily).


Serve it with whatever you like. Or on their own. I love them cold as well - they're like really, really chunky crisps. In this case, they went together with the breadcrumb stuffing (in my previous post) and lots of veg to make up my Christmas dinner. But they are not exclusively festive. In fact, I have to wrap up this post as I'm about to have some more right now!

Bye!

- Dara

4 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom, the shaking in the pan trick has long been a favourite of mine, I find adding a bit of salt and plenty of pepper just before shaking makes them extra tasty (but I do love pepper!). Will have to try the sundried tomato trick next time then, I have the end of a jar needing using up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't beat the old shake-shake method! I'm not big on salt, but have a weakness for covering them in Frank's Hot Sauce, which has salt in it - sort of a loop hole. Delicious!

      Delete
  2. These looks so good! I LOVE roast potatoes but I'm used to them being made with waxy potatoes - good texture, not so good for crispiness. I miss having an oven (I'm in catered halls), if I had one I'd be on these in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, nothing worse that missing an oven! It can lead to creative food-making though!

      Delete