Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dara's Sandwich no. 6: BBQ crispy tofu & seweed with pineapple relish


There was some questionably old tofu in the fridge. It smelled pretty funky, so I wanted to cook the hell out of it. I fried it up in small pieces with some garlic and onion and a bit of bouillon. Inspired by my mother's love of using local Atlantic dilisk seaweed in sandwiches, I added some of that. And a tasty new pineapple relish, topped with some barbeque sauce. It was quite something!

- Dara

1 comment:

  1. Innovative: I imagine the sweet and salty tastes made a contrasting taste sensation.

    Does Ireland have much of a tradition of eating seaweed? How would people usually eat it?

    A traditional dish in the south of Wales is bara lawr - laver bread. It's a breakfast dish made of boiled seaweed, which is then fried, usually with bacon.

    I'm getting interested in traditional foods as one starting point for thinking about sustainable diets. Skipping is excellent in our current society, but not a sustainable mainstream aspiration. It's challenging to think of realistic food solutions, but I think that keeping food miles low is key.

    ReplyDelete