Saturday, January 21, 2012

Banana & Cherry Slices


I've been considering cutting down my refined sugar intake. Or maybe cutting it out completely. I met someone else who is already doing this and it sort of re-enforced my thinking. So, when I went skipping (see my last post) and found 2 boxes or cherries, 6 bananas, and lots of oranges, I decided it was a good time to start some sugar-free baking. The recipe is incredibly simple and I really enjoyed these treats. They have a lovely subtle sweetness with more character than the sugary buns I had been baking. Now I'm sold on this sugar-free lark, and well on my way. Here's what I did.

I took the pips out of the cherries, squeezed the juice out of a few oranges and a lemon, and blended this all in a bowl with the 6 peeled bananas (like a lovely, thick smoothie). I added flour until I got a nice sloppy consistency, and I chopped up the other box of cherries and threw them in to get a nice chunky sweetness in the slices. I added a bit of oil and some nutmeg and cinammon. I poured the whole mixture onto a baking tray, thinly so it would cook within a reasonable amount of time.  Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds on top for a laugh. And that's it. Let them cool and they're even nicer. Sugar-free and vegan. Beautiful.

- Dara

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dara and Gwen

    The blog looks AMAZING! Good work. I am excited at its existence and sad that I have not been a part of it as planned. I am going to change this when I return to the UK and have a kitchen.

    Gwen we should eat meals together and post them!

    Also Dara the coop own brand unsweetened organic soya milk is just beans and water - as is the tescos one, I think. Super impressed you made your own though. I agree about not drinking crap.

    Warm yummy thoughts,

    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darcy! Look forward to your meals!

      Delete