Monday, January 16, 2012

Spinach, Watercress, Tofu and Avocado No-Quesa-dilla




First I thinly sliced some tofu and marinated it in balsamic vinegar and salt.
Next I wilted some spinach and put it to one side.
I diced the tofu and fried it in just a bit of sunflower oil for quite a while so it was really crispy.
Then I placed a tortilla (seeded, yeah!) into a flat based frying pan, and spread the spinach over it. I sprinkled the watercress and tofu over it, then added slices of avocado.
A fair bit of salt, some ground black pepper and a bit of balsamic vinegar all over it, then it's ready for another tortilla on top. First, though, take a step back and look how pretty it is. Admire the food.

If you use cheese (as in a quesadilla) then press the edges it seals nicely. This doesn't happen with the greens and browns of vegan food, but with a bit of vegan super-powers it is possible to turn the whole thing over and cook both sides so that the tortilla crisps up and chars slightly.

This one I cut into quarters, but if I was being true to the Mexican idea then I would do it like a pancake and fold the tortilla in half like a half moon. Tomorrow I might try this- watch this space...




No comments:

Post a Comment